A common misconception about bed bug infestation is that it is caused by filth, but this is wrong. Bed bugs are not drawn to decay. As long as their food source is available, they can live anywhere. Preventing bed bug infestations requires understanding this.
So now the main question comes in: how does a bed bug infestation begin? The short and quick answer is: one bedbug is enough!
Keep reading because, in this article, we’ll take a closer look at what is the main cause of bed bugs—how they spread, how they get into your home, and things you should avoid or care about to protect yourself and your loved ones from bed bug infestation.
What is the Main Cause of Bed Bugs? 5 Common Causes of Bed Bug Infestation in Homes
One bed bug is enough to create a massive infestation in your home. You can check here how fast bed bugs multiply. Now the question arises, how does one bedbug come into your home? Many factors can contribute to a bed bug infestation in your home. The following are some of the most common causes:
1. Used Furniture
Using bedding or furniture that has a history of bed bug infestation, which is frequently the case when purchasing used furniture, we see this case very frequently.
Staying in a hotel or other rental facility that hasn’t been thoroughly cleaned and fumigated
3. Schools and Colleges
There is a high probability, especially in public places where we spend a lot of time. In public gatherings, you never know who has bed bugs in their home, and they may bring them along with them.
This is very common, but it is very hard to confront. Guests can sometimes bring bed bugs into your home. They may have issues in their home.
5. Public Transit
If you use public transport, be careful; this is also a common factor.
How can I avoid bringing bed bugs into my home?
There are a few simple steps you can take to avoid bringing bed bugs into your home:
- Inspect all used furniture before bringing it into your home. Look for any signs of bed bugs, including small brown spots or red welts on the fabric.
- Don’t put your luggage on the bed or floor if you suspect your hotel room has bed bugs. Instead, place it on luggage or in the bathroom. Bed bugs love warm places.
- When traveling, keep your clothes in a sealed bag until you wash them. It will prevent bed bugs from hitchhiking into your home on your clothing.
- Be vigilant when staying in public places where bed bugs could be present, such as libraries, movie theaters, and buses. Check for signs of bedbugs before sitting down or taking off your coat.
- Make sure your bedroom isn’t cluttered with things that bed bugs can hide in.
- Wash your sheets, blankets, and pillowcases regularly. Bed bugs can survive for several months without feeding, so even if you haven’t seen any evidence of them, they could still be present in your home. This will also protect you against other bacteria and insects like mites.
- Having cracks or crevices in your walls or floors where bed bugs can hide is often the case in older homes or apartments.
If you think you may have a bed bug infestation, it’s important to contact a professional pest control company right away. They will be able to thoroughly inspect your house and locate the issue’s origin so that it can be fixed right away.
Check out our article on How To Get Rid Of Bed Bugs Permanently.
There are many ways that bed bugs can get into your home. They can come in on clothes or luggage after you’ve been in a place where they’re present. They can also hitch a ride on furniture or other items that are brought into your home.
Once inside, they have a high capacity for growth and can easily spread to different parts of your house. To prevent them from getting in, it’s essential to be diligent about inspecting your belongings and keeping them clean.
I hope you got the answer you were looking for. We have written in-depth to provide the best information. Keep sharing.
Do bedbugs only live on clothes?
Bed bugs can live in used furniture, electronics, clothing, and other goods. Never bring in mattresses and furnishings that you find on the street. These things are increasingly likely to have bed bug infestations. After washing, you can dry stuffed animals and clothing on “high” for 30 minutes.
What kinds of illnesses can bed bugs cause?
There is no evidence that bed bugs spread illness. Bed bugs can be a nuisance because they may cause itching and disrupt sleep. Sometimes, excessive scratching brought on by the itching increases the risk of developing a subsequent skin infection.
What attracts bed bugs to your bed?
Warm-blooded animals’ carbon dioxide and body heat attract bed bugs. Humans do not move while they sleep, so the carbon dioxide that we exhale surrounds our heads. Although bed bugs can bite on other exposed regions of the body, the head and neck receive the majority of bites.
Hi, My name is John Mc. I am the main editor of this blog. I love talking about pests and helping people get rid of them.
Furthermore, I have an extensive interest in zoology and entomology, and I have completed my bachelor’s in environmental science from Southeast Missouri State University.